Monday, July 25, 2011

Tools for Success: Calculator Math 1512 Post #6

I plan to continue this blog...although it won't be math anymore.  Instead I will focus on the rest of my schooling and my journey to becoming an educator.

As a final post, I decided I would post about calculators.  After all, we were supposed to post about things that we learned or tools that helped us along the way.  My calculator was my lifeline.  The truth is, it always was and probably always will be!  I was always allowed to use my calculator and I became dependent upon it. 

Is this good?  Is this bad?  Well, in my opinion, application is key.  However, there are many times when I KNOW how to apply something as well as compute the answer in my head.  It's simply faster to use the calculator. 

Here is an essay on whether or not calculators should be permitted in school.Calculators: To Be Or Not To Be?

What does this say about my future as an educator?  As of now I have decided that calculators are OK.  I will be sure to assess every student's knowledge of the application of math.  The calculator will be waiting for them at graduation, and the average household has a few of them in the junk drawer.  I don't care if you use calculators in my class.  (However, could you be so kind as to not use the one on your cell phone?  Thanks!)

Here is a neat video about calculation tricks.  Calculators have always amazed me.

2 comments:

  1. It furthermore illuminates whether your test has distinctive choice inquiries, papers or both. On occasion, the examination coordinate exhibits GuideToExam which thoughts are anchored by different choice inquiries and which ones appear as paper questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Article, Also read latest tech news here - https://www.digitfeast.com

    ReplyDelete