Monday, July 25, 2011

ToonDoo Math 1512: Post #4

For my Math 1512 class, we made something called a ToonDoo.  We used a free online software called ToonDoo.  It's a site where ordinary people can create cartoons/comic strips.  At first, I was super frustrated with the program.  When I started playing around with it a bit more, it was a lot of fun!  I'll share one of my ToonDoos with you here. 
This ToonDoo was about rounding.  I think that students will remember more of the concepts we teach them if we give them a reason to remember.  During the middle of a breakdown on a standardized test, I hope my students will remember my our high-energy discussion about rounding, or my cartoon.  What is better than cartoons?
This is sort of random, but I work as a waitress at Famous Dave's of America.  The secret to getting a large tip from a table is to butter up personalize and relate to them on the same level.  I think the same applies to teaching.  If we can relate to our students and give them the tools they need to succeed (which is perhaps a bit more difficult than a few butter packets or an extra napkin) they will indeed go far. 
We get so tied up with testing and meeting the standards that we forget about about the 5 W's + H of teaching.  I'm not sure there is such a thing, but I think about it all the time!
W-Who is our audience
W-What are we teaching? What do we want them to remember?
W-When will they use this?
W-Where might they use this?
W-Why are we learning this?
H-How are we going to remember this?  (Give them a reason to remember!) 
I think things such as ToonDoos are a great way to get our students interested in the tough subjects like English and math!  
WE DON'T WANT THIS!  HERE IS TO QUALITY TEACHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment