Monday, July 25, 2011

Math 1512 How do I solve that? Post #3


I was always so terrified of geometry.  I really thought about why--until this course.  The reason I disliked geometry was because I was afraid of forgetting formulas. 

Whenever my teachers prepped us for state testing, they told us that the formulas wouldn't be on the test.  Similarly, when we had chapter tests, the formulas were nowhere to be found. 

What is my point?  This only brings me back full circle to my last post!  Instead of being shown the real-world application of these formulas, I was worried sick about memorizing the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder. 

I've linked these nifty websites featuring the Area of Shapes as well as the Surface Area of 3D Figures.  They helped me with my homework for this class.  Instead of rummaging through the book for my homework problems, I was able to have these up in another window. I'm not going to lie!  At first glance, when I was asked to find the volume of an ice cream cone, I thought "Oh crap no!"  After I realized it was simply a half sphere and a cone I was able to refer back to my handy websites and compute the answer rather quickly.  I hope my students see the image as a half sphere and a cone...and not an ice cream cone.

These sites would assist me during a direct instruction or classroom discussion activity.  We would have these sites to quickly refer to.  I also think it's appropriate to have posters  with the formulas for surface area and volume posted in the classroom.  I don't care if my students can/can't memorize the formulas.  I just want them to be able to apply them. 

I thought this would be a fun way to find perimeter and area.  This is a video about using Google Earth to find the perimeter and area of various things.  I think it would be fun because they could find the area of their house or neighborhood and then compare it to larger things such as the Mall of America or Target Field.  Google Earth is so much fun and could be used for so many different activities!

No comments:

Post a Comment