Monday, July 25, 2011

Measurement and Cooking Fun Math 1512 Post #5

Measurement--We see and use it every day!  We measure things in miles, drops, steps, feet, inches, gallons, quarts, milliliters, and the list goes on forever!  How do we keep these all straight?  To be honest, I don't

I keep a magnet on my refrigerator much like the one pictured here.  I refer to it when I'm making some juice or cooking.  My eyes are glued to it when I can vegetables.  You are probably thinking, "Um, so?" 

Here is my point.  Why memorize this?  Let's show our students HOW and WHEN they will use these measurements as well as distance, space, and other types of measurement.  Have fun with it! 

I think cooking activities are perfect for this.  It's simple.  Here is a site to hundreds of EASY cooking ideas for children.  I think the important thing is that the students take their time and pay attention to the measurements.  I don't think it's important to remember how many quarts are in a gallon, but students should know that a gallon is indeed larger than a quart.  Here is an ADORABLE video of a couple of kids cooking.  They are missing the explanation of measurements, but they sure had fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment