Monday, July 25, 2011

My Mindmap Math 1510 Post #3

If I'm going to take ONE THING away from these math courses, it's confidence!  Before I took these two classes, my math skills were completely numb.  I couldn't remember things as simple as  the Pythagorean Theorem.  I had just shut things off since high school.

Well, I'm back!  I have to say that I'm confident with my math skills again.  Most importantly, I'm confident with teaching math.  I worry a lot.  I worry about my future as an educator.  I worry about my students not "getting it."  I worry about not having money the resources I need to make sure every student succeeds.  It turns out, this math class taught me a lot about what is out there.  I was able to find hundreds (thousands!) of legitimate websites for a unit that I zeroed in on.  I took a simple chapter from a math book and made something called a Mindmap.  Here is a link to the website I used.  Mindomo 

This website could be used for many things.  I plan to use it for lesson planning.  It could also be used for honey-do lists, to-do lists, goal-setting, budgeting, or just crazy thoughts!  Check it out.  MindMaps are becoming super common in the educational world.  (I'll just assume you are interested in education...which would be why you are reading this.)

Here is a link to my MindMap.  This map was on a unit called "Estimation and Computation."  There are many links, videos, and best of all, GAMES!  Estimation and Computation MindMap

In a nutshell, I'm not scared anymore!  This project made me step out of my box to look for curriculum on the Internet.  I'm confident that I will have the tools to succeed--even if I have to fish for everything myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment