Monday, June 20, 2011

Math 1512: Post #1: Formula Freak?

With my almost two-year-old son on my lap and my newborn daughter in her bouncy seat on the floor next to my feet, the math saga continues.  This second week has given me a boost of confidence.  I comprehended everything in this week's chapter.  I'm not a hardcore Celine Dion fan, but in her words, "It's all coming back to me now." 
With that being said, I love formulas!  Maybe I always have enjoyed formulas, or maybe it's just my Type A personality.  I like to have one way to do things...the RIGHT way.  Formulas help my solidify my stubbornness.  The most refreshing concept from this week was standard deviation.  After completing a few problems, I felt like I was in high school again and hadn't missed a beat. 
Here is a video about standard deviation.  Standard Deviation in Plain English
I cruised through the interest questions as that is what my life is being consumed by at the current moment.  My husband and I have been trying to figure out which things we should put more money toward based on interest rates.  We were lucky enough to finance our new home at 4.75%.  However, upon further examination, this will cost a lot of money!  (126,500 * 0.475%) * 30 years= $180,262 in interest.  Ouuuuch!  I think I'll be paying that one off early!

No comments:

Post a Comment